I was intrigued today by Ken Paupanekis’s collection of books and videos from his time with Frontier School Division – and also to find how many of these carefully researched and prepared publications are available online in pdf form. Not a lot of Cree content, but really well prepared histories of Norway House and other Manitoba Cree (and Ojibwe) communities.
Find the whole collection of Frontier School Division pdfs here: http://ssns.frontiersd.mb.ca/CheckFirst/Introduction/FSDresources/Publications/PubsLinkPage.html
Individual titles (from the photo above, some also have corresponding teacher’s guides):
- Berens River: A Community Study
- Norway House Anthology: Stories of the Elders (Vol. 2)
- Norway House: A Brief History
- Origins and Influences (not available online)
- Four Communities: A Study of Hollow Water, Manigotogan, Seymourville and Ahgaming
Post script: Thanks to Ken Paupanekis (in Winnipeg) and Elaine Greyeyes (by phone from Muskeg Lake, SK) for agreeing to serve another year on the board of the Cree Literacy Network!