“Rock Around the Clock” is just one of the nine Classics in Cree Dolores recorded to CD in 2004 as a tool to get people to sing – and laugh – in Cree. Her translation of “All Shook Up” from the same CD was awarded a Gold Record from Winnipeg’s NCR Radio Station in 2005. Thanks to Dolores for permission to present not only her recordings, but also the translations – carefully written in SRO – that she prepared with the help of friends and elders from Muskeg Lake, Saskatchewan – to help learners sing along and learn.
Learn more about Dolores’s work as a “Creeture” in this March 2015 interview with CBC SaskWeekend – and a heads up about the Buddy Holly songs she’s planning to release on CD soon!
- nipīkinipayin (I Fall to Pieces)
- ēkāy ka-mātokāsoyan (Don’t Come Crying to Me)
- kapētipisk ka-nīmihitonaw (Rock Around the Clock)
- ninanamipayin (All Shook Up)
- kiya ē-kī-ohpiniyan (Wind Beneath My Wings)
- ocitaw kisãkihitin (Can’t Help Falling in Love)
- sãkihitowin (The Rose)
- kihci-kisēwãtisiwin (Amazing Grace)
- kīspin kisãkihin (Heel and Toe Polka)